Monday, September 17, 2007

Butternut Squash; The Series - Part I

Butternut Squash Lasagne

Okay, my lack of recipe writing skills is apparent in this one. I took the Sara Moulton's butternut squash and rosemary lasagna recipe and tweaked it. Well, maybe tweaked isn't the right word - I bludgeoned it. I like sage with butternut squash, I added some Chevre and did away with the cream for a lighter version.

Brace yourselves...here it is - the most poorly written recipe ever. Fortunately, the results do not reflect the writing.

Basic Recipe for Butternut Squash Lasagna
Squash part:
Peel, seed and cut a large squash (I used 1 of the medium and 1 of the small squashes from Popie) into 1/2" cubes. Coat squash with light coating of olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake in 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden and tender.

While the squash is roasting, work on the sauce:
4 tbs butter
4 tbs flour
about 1 ¾ milk
¼ white wine
salt pepper
½ bullion cube
½ clove of garlic (I leave it whole and remove it before using sauce)

Melt butter, add flour and whisk. Slowly whisk in milk and wine. Add the rest of the ingredients to taste.

Assembly:
8 sheets of Barilla no cook lasagna noodles
about 4 oz goat cheese
about 1 tbs chopped fresh sage (depending on your tastes)
about ¼ cup Parmesan cheese

Sprinkle roasted butternut squash with sage. Coat a 8x8 pan with cooking spray. Put small amount of sauce in bottom of pan, cover with 2 sheets of pasta, then butternut squash, some goat cheese & sauce. Keep going, alternating the direction of the pasta sheets three more times, ending with noodles and a coating of plain sauce and top with Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.

6 comments:

Janet said...

Heather,
Yummy recipe. You write the recipe like someone who cooks a lot and just knows how it goes together. I do the same thing because I love to cook and cook all the time rather intuitively. I will try this one with a different cheese. I just can't seem to learn to like goat cheese or Chevre as they say in Paree.

Unknown said...

Looks DELISH!

The problem is that I don't like squash. YUCKY PHOOEY!

But, if I did like squash (or any other vegetable - not a big fan of most of them) I would definitely being trying this recipe. LOL

Greenie Gardens said...

This is really good - I've had it at your house and uh-hum had seconds! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I love squash and this looks divine! Thank you!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

this looks good!!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photo and I'm sure it is absolutely delicious!!!


xo,
Kim