Thursday, September 6, 2007

Boxes Are Best

I love getting mail and, in my opinion, boxes are best! For me, part of the fun of a vacation is coming home to big piles of mail - I love it, okay maybe not the bills, but everything else. When we arrived home from our little "break", I was greeted with one of those flat rate boxes from my grandparents in San Diego (Guagua and Popie for those of you keeping track at home). I picked it up and, man, oh man, it was heavy; I was still uncertain what was inside, but one thing was for sure, they got their money's worth! I, of course, opened the box right away and can you imagine my surprise when I saw all of these carefully packed inside of the 11" X 8.5" X 5.5" box?

Popie's Butternut Squash

Popie grew these in his new garden! I love butternut squash and have big plans for these: Barefoot Contessa's butternut squash soup, FoodTV's butternut squash lasagna, and maybe some sage and butternut squash pasta. Mmm-mm! Thank you Gua and Popie for sharing.

10 comments:

Marianna said...

I'm laughing that one of your favorite parts of going on vacation is coming home to a pile of mail. Me too!! I don't even like to have the post office hold it because then I have to wait a day (or horrors two if we come home on a Saturday) to get it! Thank goodness for nice neighbors who will bring it all in for me!

Your squash look amazing, by the way!

Becka said...

I am laughing that someone sent you squash in the mail. For some reason, it makes my insides giggle with joy. And you plans for those beautiful things sound so delish.

Oh, and you should really frame that photograph. It's gorgeous!

Toni said...

Hi I met your mom on my blog. I live in the UP and I just love your vacation pics..I am glad you had a nice vacation up here. I was also wondering what kind of camara you had..your pics are great. I played on agate beach many times when I was your childrens age..I was born in the Sault Ste Marie and lived in Trout Lake at that time. Sure looks like you have a nice family...Toni

Unknown said...

WOW! I would have never thought you could send squash in the mail like that, and have it survive in one piece! Hmmmmmmm too bad my mom can't send me some of her yummy tomatoes! I have a feeling I would have tomato sauce by the time it made it to my house. LOL

On another note. I hope you get the chance to make some of the Tussie Mussie's. They are so fun! I was in awe of all them I kept seeing on the blogs. I will probably do some Christmas ones next. Can't wait to see what you do.

Elle Jay Bee said...

What a great, thoughtful gift! There is nothing like a delicious pot of soup in the fall...yum!!

Linda

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Dear Queen of Moody,
Thank you for letting my know I'm not the only moody wench in the world! lol And I have to say, I really, really, REALLY wish you had taken pictures of yourself unpacking that box because I'd love to know how they fit all those in there! But they look gorgeous and oh so fallish!

katiedid said...

This is so funny! The photo is fabulous and I love a good butternut squash: in ravioli, soup, etc. etc!

Mary said...

OK, now I'm hungry! Squash soup sounds marvelous. :) That is a fabulous photo, btw.
~mary

Anonymous said...

Those are just to cute! I love that photo! Nothing like great Grandparents!

Sue said...

Boy, that package must have weighed a ton! God bless Grandparents. Your meal plans for them sound delicious. May have to go get me some butternut squash.