Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Oops, I did it again


What did you just say? Did I hear what I thought I just heard? My darling boys singing Britney Spears? Nawww - couldn't be! After the third time I just had to ask,


Me - Owen, Spencer, what are you singing?
Boys - Oops, I did it again.
Me - Uhh, guys, where did you learn that?
Boys - From Nicholas
Me - Ohhhh.
Nicholas does have an older sister. I am really hoping that she heard it on a commercial and not from actually listening to the raunchy pop princess, but I suppose it is bound to happen.

Yesterday was Sam's birthday and, just like every other year, he asked for chocolate mousse. I get it, he is not a cake kind of guy, but mousse? I have tried and tried to make mousse, but have never had a success. I think it was after the third failure, chocolate soup, that I said I would never ever make it again. Since then, I have tried to steer Sam toward lemon meringue pie, flan, ice cream pies - you know, things I can actually make.


I have been made a liar before, something about no more kids, but I decided to give it a go. I scoured my cookbooks, looking for a good basic recipe that I had not yet tried. The whole time I am looking, what do you think is playing through my head? Yeah - "oops, I did it again".

Well, it wasn't an oops after all. I picked a recipe that used gelatin instead of eggs and...success!



Chocolate Mousse Empty Dish

Foolproof Chocolate Mousse
adapted from Women of Great Taste


3 Tbs Water
1 envelope (1 once) unflavored gelatin
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (I would use more next time)
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 cup hot milk
3/4 granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups whipping cream, whipped


Combine water and gelatin in a bowl and set aside. In a saucepan melt chocolate. Once melted, stir in confectioners sugar. With a whisk, add hot milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat just before mixture boils. Stir in gelatin, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt. Transfer to a large bowl and chill mixture about one hour, or until thickened. Once chilled, beat mixture until light and fluffy. Fold in whipped cream and spoon into serving dishes. Chill for several hours.




No comments: