They had a great time and we only had a few eggs topple over while painting - we had a bit of a mess when one went careening onto the floor and rolled across the room, but since we were using washable paint it was no problem. Laney was the most into the project and each of her eggs were painted so many times that they all have a brownish purpley gray color to them.
Last week the kids had a day off from school, so I put them to work painting these inexpensive wooden eggs I found at Michaels.
I used some of those rub-on letters to put names on the eggs. This was my first experience with these things and they were really helpful, especially on a curved surface. You can certainly write on them with a pen if you don't have the rub-ons.
These would also look cute at each place setting in a little basket like this:
I went with the shaved wood and cellophane bags:
I also made another version using ribbon and glue. This would be a good project for older children because it is a bit tricky getting the ribbon right on the curved surface.
The possibilities are endless. Ours are all ready for Sunday - hopefully you will have time to make some too.