Last Friday was the annual Sock Hop at Spencer's school. It is a fun event with kids of all ages running around in costumes - from 80's punks to poodle skirts, it's all there. Just as they did last year, the boys put on their saddle shoes, slicked back their hair, put on white t-shirts and a pair of jeans and they were ready to go. This year we had Laney to consider and she really didn't have anything to wear. The bad news was I did not come to this realization until late in the afternoon Friday. The good news was I remembered I had bought some felt for a Halloween project that I never completed. Okay, I never really started it, but it's a lucky thing because I needed it - a poodle skirt awaited.
My Idea: Make a big circle, cut a slit in the middle and sew in some elastic.
The Problem: I hate sewing - hate it. Probably I hate it because I am so lousy at it, but this project was easy enough right? I mean, how hard can it be to made a toddler a poodle skirt? Oh yeah, I only had 2 hours and did I mention that I am a moron when it comes to sewing?
I made a giant compass to mark the circle. Lookin' good.
I cut the slit in the middle and pinned in the elastic. I even stretched it so it would contract and make the opening smaller. Good thinking right? I held it up to check my handiwork and realized what I had done. Apparently, when a slit is cut in a circle, the circle is no longer a circle - it is now shorter on the sides. Great!
Okay, I have more felt and 1 1/2 hours, I'll just start again. I cut, pinned, sat down at the sewing machine and scrolled though the stitch options. I found one that had "elastic" in it - perfect. I put my foot on the presser foot and away I went. But, something didn't look right. The elastic was all stretched out. Poop. The stitch was so tight and abundant there was no ripping it out. This time I was out of felt and running low on time, so there was only one thing left to do - cut it out.
It seems the third time was the charm because it was not until then that the bright idea hit me - I told you I was a sewing deficient - sew a channel and shove the elastic through. So, that is just what I did. I used a bamboo skewer to push the elastic through and, hallelujah, it worked. Not wanting to go anywhere near that beast of a machine again, I stitched on the poodle by hand. Looking at it now, the poodle sort of resembles a bird, but Laney didn't seem to care. She was just happy to be part of the pack - the brat pack that is.