Monday, November 5, 2007

Back To The Birthdays


I am so behind with lots going on here and guests to enjoy, so last, but not least, Spencer and Popie (my grandfather). We celebrated Spencer's birthday with 10 of his friends at a local bowling alley. Let me start by saying that the kids had a fantastic time and one of Spencer's friends has decided he too wants a bowling party for his birthday and "no doubt" Spencer will be invited.

That being said, I think time might have actually stood still that Sunday afternoon. We bowled a bit, ate our cake and ice cream, opened presents and then the cold realization that we still had 45 more minutes until the parents came back set in. Note to self: 10 6 year olds with big heavy balls...not the best idea, oh, and make sure the children go to the bathroom before the party begins. Anyway, here are a few photos of the event:

cake

Melissa, please note the Costco cake in the photo above.
IMG_5801
Favors for the kids - t-shirts, bowling stickers and Pixy sticks.

shirts


IMG_5793 IMG_5796

Each child got a t-shirt with his name on it. I bought the t-shirts and the transfer paper at Michael's (I used the Wilton brand). This was the first time I tried using the paper and, I must say, it was very easy to use and fun to do. You just create your design - I did mine in Word with some art from Family Fun magazine (Wilton has a sight full of graphics that allows you to create design too), printed them up and ironed them on.

Unfortunately my grandfather, who was visiting from San Diego, was forced to share his actual birthday with Spencer and the 10 friends. My mom and grandmother prepared Coquilles St. Jacques (yum) and I was in charge of the dessert. I decided to make Bon Appetit's meringue crusted chocolate cake. I have made it several times before and it really looks impressive, but this time I had a bit of a problem.

IMG_5815
Looking good...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Then, somehow, disaster struck - the oven was turned off. I have am clueless as to how it happened, but it did and I had to make it work, so I turned the oven back on and watched the meringue on the sides climb up out of the pan. It was ridiculous. Again, it had to work, so I decided to trim the towering top and cover the damage with chocolate leaves. The leaves were pretty, but not enough to beautify that monstrosity of a cake. Fortunately, the taste was still delicious - too bad you had to eat the frightful cake with your eyes closed. I'll do better next year Popie and I promise no time defying kid parties.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Thanks for pointing that out! I feel MUCH better now!

Melissa

Berber said...

The cake looks great... I'm sure it was delicious!!

Janet said...

Don't you just hate it when elves invade the kitchen and mess with stuff????
Janet
PS. Got my own blog now, come and visit.

Thimbleanna said...

That meringue cake doesn't look like a disaster from here! Great recovery job!

Elle Jay Bee said...

I think that "messed up" cake looks delicious!!

Linda

Unknown said...

I think the cake looks perfect!

Of course, we all have no clue what it's actually supposed to look like, so you could have gotten away with not saying anything, and we would of all still thought it was wonderful! ROFL

It looks VERY yummiful!

Terri Steffes said...

Both cakes look great to me, I would love to have the recipe for the bottom one (I think I know how to call Costco wink)

Leeann said...

So glad to see you back! You've been missed!
Happy belated birthday to Spencer and Popie.
The shirts look cool. I will have to give that a shot sometime.

Leeann

sugarcreekstuff said...

Those t-shirts are the coolest. Not like the usual cheepie plastic dollar store goodies that break on the way home from the party. Now these kids have a nice gift. I may steal your idea in the future.

Mrs. Jones said...

What a great party you planned. You are very creative!