Thursday, June 14, 2007

Idioms Anyone?


I am not going to beat around the bush – I am dog tired. Between the play dates, school events, baking and cooking for school events, the house, the garden and the kids, I have been burning the candle at both ends. I'm hanging on by a thread. Fortunately, the end is almost in sight. One more easy peasy day of school and then, hopefully, we are footloose and fancy-free. Okay, I'll stop now - these idioms are probably getting on your nerves.

An easy recipe that I made for a school event:
Greek Orzo Salad
adapted from the Cooking Light Recipe

1 cup uncooked orzo
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion (I like Vidalia)
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
3/4 cup (3 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
the zest of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Cook orzo in boiling water until tender. Drain; rinse with cold water and add to a bowl. Pour the marinade from the artichokes over the pasta. Roughly chop the artichoke hearts and to bowl. Add reaming ingredients. Add more or less of anything depending on your likes and dislikes. Serves 4.

Easy as pie - okay I really will stop now!

Greek Orzo Salad

I forgot the spinach... Also, I would not recommend Trader Joe's Marinated artichoke hearts - they have an off taste. Actually, I would go so far as to say they are gross and, generally, I love artichokes in any form. Sorry TJ's - still love you though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of spinach,I tolerated it, that's about all.
My neighbor brought down some Swiss Chard, and I liked it! It has much the same format as spinach, but a different (more
better) flavor.

G P Larry